EntretenimentoBlog

The Reliable Toy Company

A BLAST FROM THE PAST

The Reliable Toy Company-toronto-mileniostadium
Crédito: Armando Terra

 

Last week, we discovered a few early Canadian toy manufacturing companies and in this week’s article, we will take a closer look at one of them. 

The Reliable Toy Company was founded in the early 1920’s by two brothers, Alex and Solomon Frank Samuels. The company was originally named The Canadian Saturday and Novelty Company and the main product at that time was small plastic novelties and plush foam filled toys, mostly depictions of animals. The original factory was in an approximately 500 square foot building located on Queen Street East in Toronto, Ontario. In 1922, the partnership was dissolved and the Reliable Toy Company name was adopted and operations continued at the same location.

Doll making quickly became the main production item with the company importing parts from the USA and doll heads from Germany, who at that time was a major producer. Later the same year, Reliable Toy Company began to manufacture complete dolls, with all self-sourced and produced products. Over the next several years, they moved locations several times a year, always to larger premises than the one previously occupied. In 1925, the company moved to a 3000 square foot building on King Street West and in 1928, during a period of rapid growth, they once again relocated, upgrading to a 13,000 square foot space on Phoebe. In 1933, the Reliable Toy Company bought the assets of a former competitor, Dominion Toy. This move gave Reliable Toy Company the entire Canadian market with no rival domestic competitors.

By 1935, the Reliable Toy was occupying 72,000 square feet at 258 Carlaw Avenue and it was now the largest toy manufacturing facility in the British Empire. The new facility contained a hair dressing department, garment mills which manufactured clothing and other departments which manufactured eyes, shoes and voice boxes. In 1936, Reliable manufactured 300 varieties of dolls and annual production reached 1,500,000 units. With the onset of World War II, the Reliable Toy Company began to produce small plastic parts for the Canadian Military, particularly oil bottles, bayonet covers and bullet tips. Reliable was very proud of its Canadian heritage and they would often stamp their products with “Buy Canadian” and “Made in Canada”. Reliable was an early pioneer in use of mould injection technology, due to their vast experience. Nothing was wasted and all left over scraps of plastic would be fed back into hoppers to be ground and re-used. Foreign competition became fierce from the USA, Europe, Japan, and lastly China.

In 1985, the company was sold and merged with Viceroy Manufacturing Company, another Canadian manufacturer which was located on the south side of Dupont at the Osler Street intersection. Among the most popular products from the Reliable Toy Company were Easy-lock bricks, Carrie dolls, Reely Riden-em Tractor, Royal Canadian Mounted Police figures and countless examples of plastic vehicles, both trucks, cars, and tractors!

The following are examples are from my personal collection:

  • 1950’s – Hay rake and tractor, 6” overall length, very colorful with all original attachments. Rare example with original box.
  • 1950’s – Plastic Jeep, 4” long, pristine with rare original box.
  • 1950’s – Plastic cement mixer, 5” long with dumping action. Rare original box.
  • 1950’s – Plastic steam shovel, 7” long, complete with all components and original rare box.
  • 1950’s – All plastic cutie doll, rattles, floats, and sanitary safe. Super rare boxed example.

in portuguese

The Reliable Toy Company-toronto-mileniostadium
Crédito: Armando Terra

Na última semana descobrimos algumas fábricas canadianas e esta semana iremos ter um olhar mais próximo sobre uma delas.

A Reliable Toy Company foi fundada no início dos anos 20 por dois irmãos, Alex e Solomon Frank Samuels. A companhia era originalmente chamada de The Canadian Saturday and Novelty Company e o produto principal naquela altura era brinquedos de plástico pequenos e peluches, maioritariamente de figuras de animais. A fábrica original tinha aproximadamente 500 pés quadrados e estava localizada na Queen Street East, em Toronto, Ontário. Em 1922, a parceria foi dissolvida e o nome mudou para The Reliable Toy Company, mantendo-se nas mesmas instalações.

A produção de bonecas rapidamente se tornou a sua prioridade de produção e a companhia estava a importar peças dos Estados Unidos da América. As cabeças de bonecas vinham da Alemanha, que naquela altura era uma grande fabricante. Mais tarde no mesmo ano, a Reliable Toy Company começou a produzir bonecas completas, com peças produzidas pela companhia em si. Após vários anos, eles mudaram a sua localização, sempre para instalações maiores do que aquelas anteriormente ocupadas. Em 1925, a companhia moveu-se para King Street West, com umas instalações de aproximadamente 3,000 pés quadrados. Em 1928, durante o seu crescimento rápido, realocaram-se uma vez mais, desta vez para Phoebe Street com um total de espaço de 13,000 pés quadrados. Em 1933, a The Reliable Toy Company comprou os ativos de um antigo concorrente, a Dominion Toy. Este movimento por parte da Reliable Toy Company fez com que a companhia ficasse sem quaisquer rivais no mercado canadiano.

Em 1935, a The Reliable Toy Company ocupava 72,000 pés quadrados na 258 Carlaw Avenue e era agora a maior fabricante do Império Britânico. As novas instalações incluiam um departamento com salão de cabeleireiro, fábrica de roupa e outros departamentos que fabricavam olhos, sapatos e caixas de voz. Em 1936, a Reliable fabricou 300 variedades de bonecas e a sua produção anual chegou a 1,500,000 unidades. Com a Segunda Guerra Mundial, a The Reliable Toy Company começou a produzir peças plásticas de pequena dimensão para o exército canadiano, particularmente garrafas de óleo, tampas de baioneta e pontas de balas. A Reliable era muito orgulhosa da sua linhagem canadiana e várias vezes estampavam produtos com “Compra Canadiano” e “Feito no Canadá”. A Reliable foi uma pioneira no uso da tecnologia de injeções em moldes, devido à sua vasta experiência. Nada era desperdiçado e todas as sobras de plástico eram desintegradas e reutilizadas.

A competição estrangeira tornou-se forte, vindo dos Estados Unidos da América, Europa, Japão e por último, a China.

Em 1985, a companhia foi vendida e absorvida pela Viceroy Manufacturing Company, outra companhia canadiana que estava localizada a sul da interseção da Dupont St com a Osler Street. Entre os produtos mais populares da The Reliable Toy Company estavam os blocos Easy-lock bonecas de colo, o trator de conduzir, figuras da Polícia Real Canadiana e incontáveis exemplares de veículos, incluindo camiões, carros e tratores.

Se pretende receber mais informações ou tem uma coleção a partilhar, ou até peças para vender, pode contactar-me por email em: [email protected]

Os seguintes pertencem à minha coleção:

  • Ancinho de feno e trator, com 6” de comprimento total, bastante colorido com todos os anexos originais dos anos de 1950s. – Raro exemplar na sua caixa original.
  • Jeep plástico, com 4” de comprimento dos anos de 1950s. – Estado pristino na sua caixa original.
  • Misturador de cimento, com 5” de comprimento e ação de descarga dos anos de 1950s– Caixa original rara.
  • Pá a vapor, com 7” de comprimento, completo com todos os acessórios dos anos de 1950s. – Caixa original rara.
  • Boneca fofa toda de plástico, de chocalho, flutua, e segura sanitariamente dos anos de 1950s. – Exemplar em caixa extremamente raro.

Armando Terra/MS

 

Redes Sociais - Comentários

Artigos relacionados

Back to top button

 

Quer receber a edição semanal e as newsletters editoriais no seu e-mail?

 

Mais próximo. Mais dinâmico. Mais atual.
www.mileniostadium.com
O mesmo de sempre, mas melhor!

 

SUBSCREVER