Entretenimento

Supertest

A BLAST FROM THE PAST

Supertest Petroleum was a Canadian oil and gasoline company that operated from 1923 to 1973. It was headquartered in London, Ontario and its slogan was “Canada’s All-Canadian Company”. On March 13th, 1923, James D. Good and J. Gordon Thompson both together formed London Automotive Service LTD. The latter was a manufacturer’s representative and the former was a manufacturer and distributor of service station equipment and other goods. They subsequently purchased the assets of the Energy Oil Company for a mere $10,000.00. Among the assets was a decrepit service station, located at 362 Dundas Street East, London, a tiny bulk oil storage unit East of Quebec Street in London and two fuel delivery vessels (tank truck) initially.  J. Gordon Thompson served as president and James D. Good as vice president, treasurer and secretary.

On May 23, 1923, Supertest opened its first gas service station at 362 Dundas Street East, London and began to sell gas at 31 cents per gallon. At this time Supertest was not yet a refiner and as such was purchasing its gasoline from Imperial Oil LTD. and its lubricants from Mobiloil. The following year, Supertest registered and began to operate subsidiary companies in Ottawa and Hamilton.

Supertest-toronto-mileniostadium
Créditos: DR/Armando Terra.

On December 17, 1925, Supertest Petroleum Corporation, Limited was officially incorporated. Bulk distributing plants were built in Glencoe, Seaforth and Wingham and an additional subsidiary was formed in St. Thomas, Ontario. Supertest was on and upward trajectory.

In 1926, Supertest subsequently bought the Ensign Oil Company, of Montreal and proceeded to build a bulk oil distribution facility at Port Robinson, Ontario. Later the same year all the subsidiaries were all amalgamated into one major corporation, known as “Supertest Petroleum Corporation Limited” (same as the previous corporation’s name, only minus the comma right after corporation). It’s new brand of Gasoline was trademark “Hi Compression” and the name was subsequently registered. Supertest also owned a tanker ship, known as M.S. Supertest beginning in 1928. The Supertest picked up and delivered bulk oil and gasoline to Ottawa, Kingston and Montreal. The company decided to sell the ship shortly after World War II. During the years from 1928 to 1936, the company grew by leaps and bounds both by direct growth or acquisitions. Many new ventures were launched in both Ontario and Quebec. By the beginning of 1937, Supertest directly owned and operated 342 service stations with an additional 800 dealers in Ontario and Quebec. The company had registered to its name, over 100 delivery trucks, 60 automobiles and provided employment for over 500 people. It also has over 5000 consumer credit accounts in both Ontario and Quebec.

Supertest-toronto-mileniostadium
Créditos: DR/Armando Terra.

The vice president of Supertest, James D. Good died in 1950. His personal residence was converted to a University of Western Ontario Music School. Later in the mid-1950’s Supertest opened an exploration site in Calgary, Alberta and by 1971 Supertest was producing 3000 barrels per day, which represented approximately 10% of the total sales of its own gas service centers.

In the middle on 1971, Supertest was sold to British Petroleum (BP) Canada. The once iconic and distinct Maple Leaf logo was replaced with the “BP” shield and the “All Canadian” reference was deleted. Towards the end of 1973, the Supertest Logo, name and colours had completely been phased away. Later in 1983, BP Canada itself was purchased by Petro-Canada, a wholly owned company of the Government of Canada.

In paying homage to Supertest, Petro-Canada continued to use the Supertest name in their transmission line of lubricants until the year 2000. 

The following Supertest examples are from the collection: 

  • 1960’s – Super rare Supertest Blend-x motor oil, on imperial pint size. Full can with bright graphics. C8 condition, three-piece can.
  • 1950’s – Ernie Sparks Service Station Memorabilia. Main and Oak Streets, Galt, Ontario. A total of five unused matchbooks, 12 blank adhesive service car reminders and one gasoline record book. C10 condition.
  • 1960’s-1970’s – Supertest International Travel Credit Cards and plastic credit card receipt clip with functioning clip. C9 condition.
  • 1960’s – Supertest safety service vehicle service record archive. Stores individual personal information with owner’s name, vehicle make and all service history at conducted at that station (each station had its own archive).

Armando Terra/MS


em português.

Supertest

Supertest Petroleum foi uma companhia canadiana de óleo e gasolina que operou de 1923 a 1973. A sua sede era em London, Ontário, e o seu slogan era “Companhia do Canadá totalmente canadiana”. A 13 de março de 1923, James D. Good e J. Gordon Thompson formaram juntos a London Automative Service LTD. O último era um representante de manufaturação e o primeiro era um fabricante e distribuidor de equipamentos de estação de serviço e outros bens. Subsequentemente acabaram por comprar os ativos da Energy Oil Company por uns meros 10,000.00$. Entre os ativos adquiridos estava uma estação de serviço decrépita, localizada na 362 Dundas Street East, London, um pequeno depósito de óleo a Este da Quebec Street em London e, inicialmente, dois transportes de entrega (camiões tanques). J. Gordon Thompson serviu como presidente e James D. Good como vice-presidente, tesoureiro e secretário.

Supertest-toronto-mileniostadium
Créditos: DR/Armando Terra.

A23 de maio de 1923, a Supertest abriu a sua primeira estação de serviço de gasolina na 362 Dundas Street East, London e começou a vender gasolina a 31 cêntimos por galão. A esta altura, a Supertest ainda não era uma refinaria, e como tal tinha de comprar a sua gasolina à Imperial Oil LTD., e os seus lubrificantes à MobiOil. No ano seguinte, a Supertest registou-se e começou a operar companhias subsidiárias em Ottawa e Hamilton.

A 17 de dezembro de 1925, a Supertest Petroleum Corporation, Limited foi oficialmente incorporada. Foram construídas centrais de distribuição em Glencoe, Seaforth e Wingham e uma subsidiária adicional foi formada em St. Thomas, Ontário. A Supertest estava a descolar.

Em 1926, a Supertest subsequentemente comprou a Ensign Oil Company, de Montreal, e começou a construir uma central de distribuição em Port Robinson, Ontario. Mais tarde no mesmo ano, todas as subsidiárias se juntaram e formaram uma corporação maior, conhecida como “Supertest Petroleum Corporation Limited” (o mesmo nome da corporação anterior, exceto a vírgula depois de Corporation). A sua nova marca de gasolina teve a marca comercial de “Hi Compression” e o nome foi subsequentemente registado. A Supertest também era dona de um navio-tanque, conhecido como M.S. Supertest, começando em 1928. A Supertest recolhia e entregava óleo e gasolina para Ottawa, Kingston e Montreal. A companhia decidiu vender o navio pouco depois da Segunda Guerra Mundial.

Supertest-toronto-mileniostadium
Créditos: DR/Armando Terra.

Durante os anos de 1928 a 1936, a companhia começou a crescer rapidamente, tanto por crescimento direto ou aquisições. Muitas novas empresas foram lançadas tanto em Ontário, como em Quebec. Nos inícios de 1937, a Supertest detinha diretamente e operava 342 estações de serviço com um adicional de 800 concessionárias em Ontário e Quebec. A companhia tinha registado em seu nome mais de 100 camiões de entrega, 60 automóveis e providenciou emprego para mais de 500 pessoas. Também tinha mais de 5000 contas de crédito tanto em Ontário como no Quebec.

O vice-presidente da Supertest, James D. Good, morreu em 1950. A sua residência pessoal foi convertida na Universidade de Escola de Música Ocidental de Ontário. Mais tarde, nos meios dos anos de 1950, a Supertest abriu um centro de exploração em Calgary, Alberta, e em 1971 a Supertest estava a produzir 3000 barris por dia, o que representava aproximadamente 10% do total de vendas de gasolina dos seus centros de serviço.

No meio do ano de 1971, a Supertest foi vendida à British Petroleum (BP) Canadá. E marca icónica com o distinto logotipo com a folha de Maple foi substituída com um escudo “BP” e a referência de “Toda canadiana” foi apagada.

Chegando ao final de 1973, o logotipo da Supertest, nome e cores desapareceram completamente. Mais tarde em 1983, a BP Canadá foi comprada pela Petro-Canada, uma companhia totalmente pertencente ao Governo do Canadá.

Em homenagem à Supertest, a Petro-Canada continuou a usar o nome da Supertest na sua linha de óleos lubrificantes para transmissão até ao ano 2000.

Os seguintes exemplares da Supertest fazem parte da minha coleção:

  • 160s – Motor Blend-X extremamente raro da Supertest, num tamanho minúsculo imperial. Lata completa com gráficos brilhantes. Condição C8, lata de três peças.
  • 1950s – Ernie Sparks Service Station Memorabilia. Main e Oak Streets, Galt, Ontário. Cinco caixas de fósforos não usadas, 12 lembretes adesivos em branco para o carro e um livro de registo de gasolina. Condição C10.
  • 1960s – 1970s – Cartões de crédito de viagem internacional da Supertest e um clipe de recibo de plástico de cartão de crédito, com clipe funcional. Condição C9.
  • 1960s – Arquivo de serviço de veículo de segurança da Supertest. Mantém informação pessoal individual com nome do dono, fabricante do veículo e todo o histórico de serviço conduzido naquela estação (cada estação tinha os seus arquivos).

Armando Terra/MS

 

Redes Sociais - Comentários

Artigos relacionados

Back to top button

 

Quer receber a edição semanal e as newsletters editoriais no seu e-mail?

 

Mais próximo. Mais dinâmico. Mais atual.
www.mileniostadium.com
O mesmo de sempre, mas melhor!

 

SUBSCREVER