In a rare move on Monday, Toronto police released a photograph of an unidentified man who investigators believe is another victim of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur.
“I did not want to release this picture and I am doing so as a last resort,” said Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga, lead investigator in the case.
“We have utilized numerous investigative techniques to identify this individual and so far have been unsuccessful.”
Idsinga declined to comment on the origin of the image or how it came into the possession of investigators. He said that it had been altered slightly to make the photograph sharper and to remove “artifacts” from the background.
“We need to put a name to this face and bring closure to this man’s loved ones,” he told reporters at a morning news conference at Toronto police headquarters.
Idsinga also confirmed that a seventh set of remains were found by investigators at a midtown Toronto home where McArthur worked as a landscaper. The remains have not been identified, and Idsinga made it clear they have not been linked to the unidentified man in the photograph.
McArthur, 66, now faces six counts of first-degree murder.