GTA

483 newly-confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ontario as province set to extend state of emergency

Ontario reported 483 newly-confirmed cases of COVID-19 Tuesday, bringing the provincial total since the outbreak began in January to 7,953.

The province’s official death toll sits at 334, an increase of 43 over yesterday. However, CBC News has compiled data from regional public health units throughout Ontario and counted at least 344 deaths.

Some 3,568 cases are resolved, while 2,107 people are currently awaiting test results.

The province completed 4,852 tests in the 24 hours since its last update. When public health officials rolled out expanded testing guidelines last week, they set a target of 8,000 tests per day by April 15 and 16,000 daily tests by May 6.

Of the 769 COVID-19 cases in Ontario that have been hospitalized:

  • 255 are in intensive care units, eight fewer than in Monday’s update.
  • 199 are on ventilators, four fewer than yesterday.

Today’s numbers represent a snapshot of the COVID-19 situation in Ontario as of 4 p.m. ET Monday.

The new figures come as the Ontario Legislature is set to sit briefly later today to extend the state of emergency in the province for another 28 days.

Premier Doug Ford announced the session on Monday, saying it is too early to start lifting any restrictions in the fight against COVID-19.

In previous such sittings, a limited number of politicians have been required to attend in order to respect the need for physical distancing.

Ford’s government, which holds a majority, is expected to pass five other pieces of legislation to change some regulations for school boards, post-secondary institutions and municipalities during the pandemic.

Ford, meanwhile, is scheduled to hold his daily COVID-19 briefing after the sitting, at around 1:45 p.m. at Queen’s Park.

Some 93 outbreaks have been reported in long-term care facilities in Ontario, while three homes have reported more than 20 deaths:

  • Pinecrest Nursing Home in Bobcaygeon: 29 deaths.
  • Eatonville Care Centre in Toronto: 25 deaths.
  • Seven Oaks in Toronto: 22 deaths.

Doctors Without Borders aiding homeless

The organization overseeing Toronto’s recovery centre for homeless residents diagnosed with COVID-19 says a major international group will help run the project.

Inner City Health Associates says Doctors Without Borders will be involved in the 400-bed shelter.

It says the organization has extensive experience in dealing with infectious disease outbreaks around the world.

The shelter is not yet open to the city’s homeless patients.

CBC

Redes Sociais - Comentários

Fonte
CBC

Artigos relacionados

Back to top button

DONATE NOW